Facts To Consider
- The Book of Mormon contains 40 typed pages of just geographical references.
- There are four major land areas in the Book of Mormon; the land of Nephi; land Bountiful, the land of Zarahemla, and the land of Desolation.
- Much of the Book of Mormon geography describes travels and communications between the land of Zarahemla and the land of Nephi.
- The Land of Nephi is mentioned 41 times before coming of Christ but not once afterward.
- The Lord led the righteous people from the land of Nephi on five different occasions (before some or all of the land of Nephi sank into the sea);
a. “Mosiah being warned of the Lord that he should flee out of the land of Nephi, and as many as would hearken to the voice of the Lord”, between 279 and 130 B.C., Omni 12-13.b. “Now Alma being warned of the Lord…made it known to his people, therefore they gathered together…and departed into the wilderness…” between 135 and 121 B.C., Mosiah 23:1.c. “And it came to pass that the people of king Limhi did depart by night into the wilderness…and bent their course towards the land of Zarahemla, being led by Ammon and his brethren.” Mosiah 22:11, between 145 and 121 B.C.d. “…and the Lord said unto him (Ammon): Get this people out of this land, that they perish not…and they gathered together all their people, all the people of the Lord…and departed out of the land, and came into the wilderness which divided the land of Nephi from the land of Zarahemla…” Alma 27:11-14, between 90 and 77 B.C. This left the Lamanites who would not heed the word and the Nephites who had dissented from the land of Zarahemla. From then on, there were continual and frequent wars and battles between the Lamanites and Nephites.e. Because of the preaching of Nephi and Lehi in the book of Heleman, chapter 5, “that many of the Lamanites did come down into the Land of Zarahemla, and did declare unto the people of the Nephites the manner of their conversion…”
- The land of Nephi was north of the land of their First Inheritance.
- The land of Zarahemla was north of the land of Nephi.
- The land Bountiful was north of the land of Zarahemla.
- The land of Desolation was north of the land Bountiful. There are twice as many references to north and south directions than east and west (excluding references to the east and south wilderness and west and south sea.)
- The temple in Bountiful where Christ appeared
- The land of Moron near the land of Desolation
- The land of Zarahemla and the land of Nephi were many miles apart and yet were close to each other, why? There were two routes to journey with something in between that prevented travel in a single course.
- The river Sidon is the only river named in the Book of Mormon. It generally ran from north to the south and emptied into the west sea or the head of the river Sidon, i.e., to bring something “to a head.”
- Christ appeared in the land Bountiful, in the city in the land Bountiful.
- The Mulekites landed in North America and stayed where they first settled. It became Zarahemla.
- A narrow strip of wilderness, the east wilderness, ran between the land of Nephi and the land of Zarahemla.